Sunday, April 1, 2012

Is Pet Insurance Very Expensive?

Is pet insurance expensive? No it is not and when you think about it, paying a little out of your own pocket each month could one day save you a ton of money. I am the perfect example of how pet insurance can help you and I will explain why below.

I have three Labrador Retrievers, two yellow and one black. They are awesome dogs and I love them like my kids and would do anything for them. One thing I did decide to do was to purchase pet insurance coverage for all of them and am I ever glad I did.

Not three months after they were enrolled on a pet insurance plan, my Black Lab was running out in the icy back yard, and came up lame! I had seen this before with my friend's Rottweiler so I had a pretty good idea what had happened! Off to the vet we went where to my dismay, the vet concurred with my thought that my boy had torn his cruciate ligament, which is the ligament that attaches the femur bone to the tibia. My dog was limping because of the pain and I did not hesitate when the vet recommended that my boy go under the knife for surgery to repair the damage.

When all was said and done, the entire ordeal cost me approximately $3500, which included the cost of the surgery and subsequent x-rays and such. Because I had pet insurance for my pooch, I received a cheque in the mail for 90% of the actual out of pocket expense for me, which was a fantastic amount in my opinion! Generally you will not get a full reimbursement but 90% of the full balance is pretty sweet.

This is just an example of how pet insurance can be a freaken savior, and I am ever so grateful that I have it for my lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment